Wednesday, January 1, 2014

I'm a World Record Holder!

I know it is hard to believe on a lot of levels, but supposedly it is the truth . .. I am part of the WR for the most people completed a 5K as one.  Personally, I am waiting for the footnote (The most people on 12/31 in 8 degree weather in the state of WI or something) b/c it was "only" 116 people but they claim it broke a record.  They were trying for 500, and hmm .. .do you think the icy pics of the course they sent out the day before, and temps, etc scared a few people off?

 

I'll start at the beginning:  LR, do you know what these are?  This is how one runs in WI! (Yak Trax). 

I went to a spin/boot camp style class on Mon nite, which is not my normal routine (7 pm).  I knew the leader was a tough guy, but I had to go so there I was.  I'm sure I did at least 3000 lunges, 200 push ups, and planks for 10 minutes. Not to mention spinning, rows, and so forth. I signed up long ago with Doug to do a winter run series (not sure what possessed me) and I was determined to do the 5k "Run in the New Year" on Tues.  9 pm Mon nite Doug tells me that they did not have enough people for this World Record attempt (that he signed up for) and would I run with them instead.  I really did not want to, b/c I was sure I would slow everyone down and I was completely self-conscious about not being remotely in shape.  But he roped me (literally - explain below) in. 




(sorry - can't figure out how to rotate the image)


It was all very official - there was a rope and we all clipped in with carabiners. We had to sign stuff. I knew I would probably punch Doug if I ran by him so I found some nice ladies down the line. They had done a half and a full marathon like this (really - you cannot unclip - even to pee).  I'll remind you that it was 8 degrees at start time, icy, slushy, snowy - Doug almost fell on his butt in the parking lot. It truly is a miracle that nobody got hurt. 


I am that short person behind the guy in the red tee on the far right. Yes, we are all clipped to a rope.  And yes, I did make everyone stop once so I could walk for a minute!  The power of controlling over 100 people . . . well, they said you could just flag the captain but I still felt like a loser. At least I did not drop out (I did see one lady on the sideline). I don't think anyone really cared - most were singing Jingle Bells, or Auld Lang Syne (which no one knows the words to, so it was humming).  I am telling you - it was hard.  Not just b/c I'm out of shape, and trying to dodge ice, etc (different muscles, you know) but it was like an interval workout - jogging, then run, then slip, of  course no ones stride is the same.  Remember I did that ridiculous workout the night before so I could already barely walk.


And there is the official book, signing off before unclipping.  I had on an earband, a hat, a buff, a facemask, sunglasses, two pairs of gloves, baselayer, vest, polar flc . . . the run was not bad. It was AFTER, when you are wet with snow and slush and sweat that you freeze.  I could not get in the hot bathtub fast enough.  Skipped the beer party - but I did earn a bottle of champagne!

This was clearly the craziest, silliest, strangest things that I did in 2013!










 

No comments:

Post a Comment