Sunday, January 12, 2014

I love my new crockpot…….

That's a teaser right…..I bet you stopped everything to read this post, am I right?

I Hilton Honor points that were about to expire and so I spent them on a new modern crockpot.  The one I had must have been from the 80's.  In fact I think it may have been a gift from Ethel when we worked at Venture together.  It was a lovely shade of cream with a beautiful medium blue country cross-stitch pattern on it.  Many meals over the course of the last 25 years were made in that vessel.  But it has now been retired.

I have a new shiny stainless beauty with a black internal pot and a convenient cord keeper.  But enough about that.  I am posting because I have a super easy, super good beef roast recipe I wanted to share with you guys.  No idea if this is an appealing meal for you guys -- but Tim and I love it.  Clearly I love comfort food and this fits the bill!

What you need:
>  a crockpot of course

>  a beef roast:  i normally buy a 2-2.5 lb. pc of meat, that's typically the smallest I see, I would estimate about 8-10 oz. per person.  It shrinks as it cooks so the serving will be smaller than that.  There are lots of types -- I tend to buy which ever one looks the leanest, typically a sirloin roast.

>  1 can of cream of mushroom -- except for Ethel I would suggest cream of celery (I also try to buy the healthy request version….to lower sodium)

> Lipton Recipe Secrets Beefy Onion Packets, it like a dry soup mix that acts a seasoning mix.  I use a half of one packet…you might need more if you make a much bigger roast.

>  Potatoes, Carrots & Onions:  I buy the tiny red or yellow potatoes and baby carrots, this way there is no real prep needed.  If they are not available just cut up veggies into chunks.

>  Red Wine:  I use 5 oz. -- more if you make a bigger roast

Ok -- now the assembly process.  Dump the veggies into the crockpot first, then the roast, then the can of soup.  I mix the dry soup in with the wine and pour over the top……and that's it.  I cook it on low for 4-6 hours, just depends on what's going on.  It makes the house smell super good!  FYI -- you can't fast the wine at all…if you are concerned about the kids.

For fun you can do a few other things -- but totally not necessary.  I will sometimes cut slits in the roast and insert garlic cloves, sprinkle rosemary and/or cayenne pepper on top, etc.  I also typically put ground pepper on top as well.

Hope this sounds good and easy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment