Sunday, September 18, 2011

Day of Rest!

Hi all --

I completed my 8 mile hike -- but it wasn't easy!  It was more difficult than I would have imagined.  And yes I carried my pack -- 20 lbs. of assorted household things.  I admit I felt pretty silly piling out of my car with enough gear to stay overnight.  I quickly announced to the group I was just practicing -- not planning to camp.  The 20 or so other hikers were nice as could be -- mostly women in there late 40's and early 50's....many hiking with friends.  My observation about hiking is this....it's not hard to do, but the fact that it takes typically 30 minutes to do a mile can really exhaust you if you are doing many miles.  Our hike of 8 miles took 4 1/2 hours (including a lunch stop....and my first visit to a latrine).  It was in the high 50's and I was sweating like crazy!  Since I know you are interested Jessica -- I believe I covered an elevation change of 650 ft.  As low as 650ft up to 1300ft.  So this is a sport of endurance....slow and steady!  I'm sore today in some odd spots....but not bad.  A bit frightened of how I might feel after doing this 4 days in a row.

On to the other big aspect of my life right now.....my Mom.  We put her in a nursing home on Saturday a week ago yesterday.  It was difficult, she didn't want to go, does't want to be there......but unfortunately needs to be.  So I have been trying to get her settled, organize her home and her life so that it can be navigated from Duluth, MN and trying to find peace with my decisions.

I have another thing going on that I will share with you guys when we talk -- don't want to post it.  All of this is making me super emotional.  That or my hormones are in high gear.  But I am crying at the drop of a hat....seriously -- a song, a thought, etc.  You name it -- it seems to make me emotional.  I'm not super sad -- just emotional.

Jess -- just bought another boatload of stuff from REI.  It's crazy......the trip is $500 -- but the gear to take the trip is $1500!  We'll need to hike the AT....just to get our monies worth.

Last but not least -- the Chicago idea.  I need to work through the calendar a bit.  But love the idea!!!!

That's all for now!
Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment