Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Simplify

I recently read a book "100 Ways to Motivate Yourself" and one that stuck with me was "Simplify." For years (!) I feel like I have been focused on finding weight loss answers (thyroid? high protein? low carbs? cardio? weights? points? fat?) and they all help. But the basic science is calories in, calories out, right? I have been so puzzled by my lean nutrition and pretty active exercise schedule as to why I just stay the same.

Enter my new toy - my Bodybugg! I am really enjoying it! It straps on your arm, which measures your caloric burn. You then enter your food (syncs to phone) and you know if you are creating enough of a deficit to hit your goal or not! It is well suited for my anal personality!
So I am discovering that yeah, what I do is great, but pretty much keeps me stable b/c other than my workouts I am relatively sedentary the balance of the day which will be great when I'm at goal, but not enough to get there.

Like today, I ran 3.5m on the trails this morning (gorgeous WI morning!) ate two great meals and feeling so cool about myself. But when I updated everything, I realized that I still need to burn 750 cals to hit my goal for the day! Normally I think "I ran, I'm done." So now I am thinking of a few other things to sneak in between ball games and conference calls.

This sense of immediacy, or "one day at a time" is really keeping me focused. I think it will be especially helpful when I am on vacation for three weeks in July! I'm all about the fun new gadgets.

No comments:

Post a Comment